Mentorship Changes Lives – Including YOURS!
The Value and Importance of Human Connection.
Listen to Rita Pierson, a 40 year teaching veteran talks about the importance of children having champions in their lives, and how human connection is the first and ultimate teacher.
TO MENTOR HOMELESS YOUTH –
To start, or find a mentorship program in your area, click here.
Salt Lake County:
The goal of any youth mentorship program is three fold:
- We connect youth with a caring, consistent, positive adult mentor. Mentors provide adolescents with concentrated adult attention otherwise missing from their lives. Mentor programs offers a no cost, fast way to share valuable skills and knowledge.
- One-on-one instruction, or mentoring, is one of the oldest forms of teaching. Our parents and grandparents are our earliest mentors; later, we may be mentored by–or act as mentors to–brothers, sisters, and friends. Most of these kids missed out on those influential teaching relationships. Human connection is the most healing and motivating factor for a human life to flourish. Mentorship is a strong pathway to human connection in the lives of these teens.
- Mentoring can help youth as they go through challenging life transitions, including dealing with stressful changes at home or transitioning to adulthood.
- Adult mentors broaden adolescents’ horizons and expose them to new experiences not available in their immediate environment.
- Adults model the importance of education, hard work, responsibility, and restraint as paths to success.
Among youth in mentoring programs, there have recorded substantial increases in:
- Self-esteem, self-confidence and self-worth.
- Ability to create and maintain healthy relationships.
- Improved behavior and home and in the community.
- Mentoring programs increase school attendance and graduation rates among youth in a mentoring relationship.
- Roles of non-familial adults in the lives of at-risk children increase resiliency and success in the face of adversity.
- Higher college enrollment rates and higher educational aspirations.
- Decreased likelihood of initiating drug and alcohol use.
Click the links above to get started! There is a youth waiting for you. <3